Money for Flight Training: Dependents Eligible for GI Bill

By Carolyn Ethington

If you’re the spouse or child of a veteran eligible for post-9/11 GI Bill benefits, you can get help paying for the education you’ve always dreamed of!

As of August 1, 2009, service members enrolled in this program can transfer any unused benefits to their immediate dependents, who can then use the money to receive an education at an accredited school of their choice. The Transfer of Post -9/11 GI Bill Benefits to Dependents (TEB) is a real boon for veterans who may not need to further their own educations but who wish to help their college-aged children get flight training, bachelors’ degrees, and any number of other career-enhancing certifications.

Who is Eligible?

  • Spouse or designated children of an active service member who has completed at least 6 years of duty and has enlisted for a further 4
  • A service member who has served for 10 years
  • Any service member who is retirement-eligible on or after August 1, 2009 if certain conditions are met

What do Beneficiaries Receive?

  • Spouse: May use the education tuition benefits immediately but without the additional funds for monthly living expenses and books if the service member is still on active duty
  • Can use the benefit for up to 15 years after the member’s last separation from active duty
  • Children: May use all benefits including tuition/ stipends/books after member has served 10 years of duty
  • Must be between the ages of 18 and 26

Because of the high cost of education, all families of eligible service members should take advantage of TEB program while it is still being funded. There are 41,000 new higher education students in America’s schools in the fall of 2009 who are taking advantage of this excellent opportunity, and you don’t want to be left behind!

If you’re a dependent of a service member and have always dreamed of receiving flight training and pursuing a career in aviation, TEB is a great way to make that dream a reality. Visit to find a flight training school near you and get going!

Find a GI-Bill School – Aviation Schools for U.S. Veterans
More VA info – resources for veterans – articles, videos, links, and more

Tags: , ,

2 Responses to “Money for Flight Training: Dependents Eligible for GI Bill”

  1. Jason says:

    New update! The post 911 GI Bill will pay for flight training if it is sought through an Institution of Higher Learning. This is a complicated way to say a degree program at a college. Yavapai College in Prescott, AZ just approved a program that starts January 20th, 2010. It is an Associates Degree program that will take 21 continuous months of training that will result in an Associates Degree of Applied Sciences in Helicopter Aviaiton and your Commercial Helicopter license with Certified Flight Instructor Instrument (CFII). The college owns the program and is contracting the labs (flight portion) through Guidance Helicopters. Also the vet will qualify for $1300 BAH per month via the zip code. All flight traing in provided under FAR 141. I suggest you take a look.

  2. What a great opportunity for our service men and women and their families. I would take advantage of this flight training program while there is still funding for it.